Digitization Assistant – Young Canada Works Position
We gratefully acknowledge and respect the xʷməθkʷəy əm (Musqueam), sḵwx! wú7mesh (Squamish), and
səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) who are the stewards of these lands and waters. Our goal is to support these
communities and share their stories in a meaningful way.
The Vancouver Maritime Museum’s Library & Archives is seeking a motivated, organized, and self-
sufficient individual with knowledge of archival theory to carry out an extensive digitization project on
the museum’s photograph collection. Responsibilities will include scanning a large selection of images,
editing the scans for clarity and re-sizing, recording metadata for each item, creating item-level records in
the database, and uploading scans to the database. The successful applicant will be an organized,
conscientious individual with strong attention to detail and work ethic. This temporary, full-time
position is funded in part by the Young Canada Works (YCW) employment initiative of the
Department of Canadian Heritage.
Employment term: May 23rd, 2023 – August 25th, 2023 (14 weeks); 35 hours per week. Position is
subject to grant funding.
Remuneration: $20.00 per hour + 10% in lieu of benefits and statutory holidays.
- Creating high-resolution scans of photographs and creating metadata.
- Editing the scans for clarity and creating access copies.
- Using our database to create RAD-compliant item-level records for each item.
- Uploading scans to the database for public access.
- Enrolment in, or completion of, a Master’s of Archival Studies and/or Master’s of Library and
Information Studies with a focus on archives.
- Prior experience undertaking archival digitization work, including creating metadata and working
with scanning software and hardware.
- Strong familiarity with the Rules for Archival Description (RAD).
- Strong technological skills.
- Familiarity with Canadian copyright standards.
- Eligible candidates must meet requirements for the YCW program.
How to apply: Apply with a cover letter and resume by Sunday, April 23rd by email to: Ashlynn Prasad,
Librarian & Archivist at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Vancouver Maritime Museum Society is an equal opportunity employer, and the Government of
Canada’s job equity groups are encouraged to apply. No phone inquiries please. Please note that only
short-listed candidates will be notified.